In our research, we came across some astonishing statistics:
- In Uganda, the National Water and Sewage Corporation serves less than 5% of the population. All others use springs, boreholes, wells, gravity flows, rivers, lakes, and/or unprotected wells.
- 40% of the Uganda’s population has no access to “improved” water sources.
- An estimated 50% of the wells built in Africa fail after two years.
- In small towns in Uganda, the local government and private water associations/operators regulate the water supply.
- 1 out of every 4 deaths under the age of 5 worldwide is due to water-related disease.
- In developing countries, around 80% of illnesses are linked to poor water and sanitation conditions.
We have tried to learn everything we can about water prior to departing but we all feel we will have a better grasp on current water situation once we are there in person. We look forward to sharing our findings and journey along way!